Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The dangers of running

When I first started running with the Team Joe, I was amazed at the number of injuries that were often presented by my fellow runners. Why is running such a burden on our poor bodies?

In the past year, I have suffered from a stress reaction in my right leg (a precursor to a fully blown stress fracture) and runner's knee (also know as patellofemoral pain syndrome). There have been visits to the sports doctor (Dr.Klion on the UES), an MRI, physical therapy and many hours of ice packs and gym work.

Click on the link to take you to Dr Pribut's Sports Pages - a fascinating read on the types of injuries you too can get from running. Have I turned you off running? Fear not, in fact, there are many runners (including many in Team Joe) that go a lifetime of running without injury. Just make sure you take the necessary precautions - get a good pair of running shoes, stretch before and after......etc etc.


So mates, keep on running. See you out there at Team Joe.

1 comment:

Gabby said...

I have been running since 1996 an the only injuries I've had in all that time are 2 sprained ankles. Not so bad. I think it comes down to (and I've read extensively) getting the right shoes, listening to your body, adding mileage slowly, stretching a lot after runs...frankly, just not overdoing it. Run every OTHER day, cross-train..etc...The positives far outweigh the negatives. Runner are happier people, healthier people, more energetic and better in bed. That last one is just my personal theory.